Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Detergent made at home

Ever since a friend told me she made her own laundry detergent I've been interested in trying it myself but didn't know where to get all the ingredients. Finally someone said kroger and they had everything and it was all pretty much right next to each other which was great. I didn't realize that though I found one of the things but completely missed the other two until someone pointed them out. What I purchased was a bar of fels naptha soap, a box of washing soda and a box of borax. I ground up 1/3 bar of the soap and put it in a washed out spaghetti sauce jar. Then 1 cup of washing soda and borax then I shake them up to mix it up really well. Bam done. You can mix it in a bucket and make liquid but so far the powered version is working on laundry and diapers. I add 1 tbsp to diapers and 2tbsp for clothes. Its working really well. My diapers were really stinky before using it and after a soak they didn't stink anymore which I like lots. I will keep you updated once I find out if anything changes with the diapers. I want to use the detergent for about a month to see if we have any issues or not. I'm honestly amazed it's working so well because my oldest is so sensitive to detergents specifically rockin green that burns his bottom. Have you ever made your own detergent?



3 comments:

  1. this is something i've been so wanting to try. keep us updated as i'm interested in how it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats what we use. But in the liquid form. We are on our second month and so far so good even on the diapers. I'm thinking about trying the powder version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like powder because its in a smaller container. I don't have space to store something big.

    ReplyDelete