Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Babywearing ranty rant RANT

This rant has been on the tip of my tongue for quite a while now. I'm sick of hearing crappy info about babywearing. People who do not wear their kids or didn't who haven't taken the time to learn how to use a sling properly trying to help other people is a big big pet peeve of mine I can't handle it. I get emails almost daily from people who were taught to use their carrier improperly and it makes me so upset. Those people are putting their babies in a carrier improperly making it unsafe for the child. Please if you don't or haven't worn your child frequently in many different carriers don't offer advice unless you've taken the time to learn how to use them properly you are putting babies lives at risk. I've seen pictures of people using carriers where the child is about to fall out the bottom because it's on wrong. I'm sorry if this doesn't make much sense but I'm so frustrated with it and need to get it off my chest. If you need help or if anyone needs help with their sling please email me theslingmaster at yahoo dot com I'm happy to help with any carrier I've tried many different types and I wear both my kids regularly. Please get your advice from someone who knows what they are talking about. If they give you advice on a specific carrier ask them if they have ever used it.

Enjoy some of my favorite babywearing pictures of us. Oh and yes my husband has a smidgen of babywearing knowledge as well :)





























There is my mom babywearing and yes she put the sling on herself she rocks


My teenage sister can do it too.




So please take your info from someone who knows. :)

2 comments:

  1. I saw a pic on catbirdbaby where the baby was in a front carry & facing forward. I thought this was baby wearing don't? What's your advice on this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are two carriers that I've seen that can do a facing out carry properly they are the pikkolo and the Gemini. I own both I've tried the facing out position in both. Its certainly more comfortable than a bjorn or a crotch dangler. They can support a baby properly in the facing out carry. The pikkolo does a better job than the Gemini. You won't find a picture of me carrying my kids facing out because we don't do it. It's not as comfortable because baby is essentially hanging off of you instead of hugging you. Its funny that I absolutely love love the pikkolo and the Gemini is in second place but we don't do facing out carries. I've read it's better developmentally for your child to be able to see your face at all times. I prefer my kids facing me because they can't grab stuff off store shelves and break it. My kids face me so they can see my reaction to things as a learning experience to them. They know we get cautious around strangers and upset when strangers try and touch us. People say their kids want to see the world they can turn their head to the left and right and see just fine or do a back carry and if it's high enough see over your shoulder. I don't approve of a facing out carry ever. If you do choose to do one keep it short as in less than 30minutes. That is my own opinion based on the three years babywearing experience I have. I've worn my youngest for upwards of 8-10 hours per day for the first 5 months of his life he is clingy :)

    ReplyDelete